// M&A, Strategies, Alliances //
- KORE has acquired Aspider-NGI, a twenty-year-old firm that specializes in connectivity, core network, and eSIM services, rolling it into Kore’s own connectivity PaaS. No price has been given.
- Siemens has acquired COSMA, a German software company that will be merged into Siemens’ Mentor Graphics wing, to develop better autonomous vehicle products, using COSMA’s expertise in wiring harness and electrical design.
// Laws, Regulation, and Lawsuits //
- SuperMicro has announced that a third-party audit has found no evidence of the spy chips reported by Bloomberg, setting the stage for what could be a monumental lawsuit. The company’s share price has recovered somewhat in the past quarter, but it is still down around 33%.
// Hardware //
- Silicon Labs has released its new 700 Series Z-Wave chips, now part of its Wireless Gecko silicon platform, after Silicon Labs bought the assets from Sigma Designs. The new chips have new design tools, which we are told are big improvements over the old Z-Wave tools, and claim ten-year operation on coin-cell batteries, in applications like door or window sensors.
// Networks, Protocols, & Wireless //
- The MIPI Alliance has released a stripped-down version of its I3C specification, called I3C Basic, which it is pitching at IoT devices, connected vehicles, and smartphones, which is essentially a royalty-free bundle of most-used features.
// Industrial & Manufacturing //
- Vortex IoT has announced it is part of Swansea University’s Factory of the Future project, which is part of the £1.3bn Swansea Bay City development and infrastructure project. Vortex IoT will develop a bespoke manufacturing facility.
// Retail, Marketing, & Supply Chain //
- Keuhne + Nagel is opening up its digital sea-freight platform to other liners, which is centered around optimized pathfinding algorithms. It comes as IBM and Maersk struggle to drum up interest in their blockchain-based platform.
// Automotive //
- GM says it is ditching its Volt plug-in hybrid because its customers are very rarely using its gasoline backup generator, focusing on the Bolt EV amid a restructure.