This will rise to Subscribers of OTT services will rise to 200 million by the year 2021
“Asia Pacific OTT Forecast 2017-2021 paints a picture of fragmented and complex conditions, quite different to established western markets. This is partially down to broadband penetration, which is well above 50% in some regions yet below 10% in others. The market for OTT services is therefore seemingly mature in some areas yet ready to explode in others.”
There will be huge popularity in a buoyant SVoD services market ($6.29 bn by 2021). These OTT pure play operators, therefore, present exciting opportunities for both technology suppliers and content providers.
So says ‘Asia Pacific OTT Video & TV Delivery Forecast 2017 to 2021’ which focuses on the territories where video-on-demand and pay TV subscription revenues will reach $10 billion by 2021 from $6.5 billion today and where pure play SVoD services are set to dominate (at $6.29 billion) ahead of operator supplied services.
The forecast identifies and predicts all aspects of the Asia Pacific OTT consumer video delivery market, from 2017 to 2021 and is 24 pages with 20 graphs and tables.
The forecast examines:
- How and why regional viewing habits in markets like India, Japan and Indonesia are being determined by technology infrastructure – a full breakdown is provided;
- Why, in Asia Pacific, SVoD is more popular than TV Everywhere even though the latter is free;
- What can be learnt and copied from Netflix’ strategy in tackling the insular Chinese markets;
- Which territories present the most exciting opportunities in readiness for OTT content and technology expansion;
- Who are the OTT video ‘pure play’ operators; detailing their features and strengths, their cultural backgrounds, where they operate, their market share;
- When Hollywood meets Bollywood; in other words: the Netflix factor. The report examines how the American company will fare with Asian consumers from now until 2021
- The likelihood of US-sourced entertainment prevailing against a drama tradition already dominated by strong Indian, Korean, Chinese and Japanese production companies.
Another aspect of ‘Asia Pacific OTT Forecast 2017-2021’ is the discovery of underlying technology as a factor on OTT and TV provision, for instance, the Indian market is dominated by a blanket of 4G coverage provided by such operators as Reliance Jio (a planned government-backed roll-out of fixed line broadband may alter this over time).
Who should read this report?
This is essential information for those planning to understand and profit from the Asia Pacific OTT market in the next four years. This includes decision makers and influencers in Pay-TV companies including Cable, Satellite and Telcos, Broadcasters, Movie and TV Studios, TV networks. It means all types of network operators, telcos, cablecos, broadband carriers, satellite and OTT operators themselves. TV, CE and device manufacturers too will find this useful for planning. It involves the likes of set top and encoder manufacturers, DRM and security specialists, billing providers, CDN suppliers, handset makers, chip designers, sellers of advertising analytic services; OTT systems integrators, software developers. The work may be of help to strategy formulators, buyers, consultants, financial analysts and any company with an interest in OTT content delivery and services world.
Operators mentioned in this report:
PCCW; Tata Sky, Videocon d2h, DishTV, Bharti Airtel, Idea Cellular, Reliance Jio, MTNL, Vodafone India, BSNL, Tata Indicom; Telkom Indonesia, Indovision, PT First Media, XL Axiata; NTT DoCoMo, Jupiter Telecom, Sky Perfect TV, SoftBank, KDDI; Korea Telecom, SK Telecom, LG U+; Astro, Telkom Malaysia; Smart Communications, Globe Telecom; TrueVision; Chunghwa Telecom, Far EasTone.
Pure play SVoD OTT services mentioned in this report:
Netflix; Youku Tudou, iQiyi, Tencent Video, LeTV; Hooq; Amazon Video; iFlix; YuppTV, Hotstar, NexGTV, Spuul, Eros Now, BoxTV; Catchplay; Hulu, dTV; Pooq, Tving, Watcha Play
For more information contact:
Chloe Spring (Marketing Manager): [email protected]
Office Phone: +44 (0)1179 257019
Download Executive Summary:
Annual subscription to Rethink TV:
Subscribing to Rethink TV for the same price, includes 10 more forecasts a year on pay TV technologies.